Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Jumbo Chocolate Cups filled with Cookie & Nut Butters!

Before I decided to cut out dairy from my diet, my favorite favorite favorite sweet treat were Reese's Peanut Butter cups. They were everything I ever wanted in a dessert--sweet, creamy, and a little salty. Ugh! Just thinking about them makes my mouth water.

Last night, I got a hankering for a Reese's cup, so I decided to make my own! I wanted to test a couple different fillings so I used Almond Butter, Cookie Butter, and Peanut Butter. I'm sure these would be amazing filled with jams, coconut shreds, and other nut butters.

These were very simple to make because they only require three ingredients and a microwave. I stupidly didn't measure out my ingredients properly (sorry) so these are all guesses. The beauty of this recipe though is that the measurements don't really matter!



When filling the bottom of the cupcake liners, I used about a tablespoon of melted chocolate. I found the bottom layer to be a little thick for my taste, so I'd adjust them next time by filling the bottom of the liner with 1/2 a tablespoon or so of the melted chocolate. The recipe makes approximately five to seven cups. I did two with peanut butter, two with almond butter, and two with cookie butter.

Jumbo Chocolate Cups filled with Cookie & Nut Butters
-9 oz of vegan chocolate chips (I like Trader Joe's semi-sweet variety)
-filling (nut butters or cookie butter...enough to fill each cup with about a tablespoon of the filling)
-1 tbs of coconut oil

In a microwave safe bowl, pour in the chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave in thirty second increments until melted. Fill cupcake liners with 1/2 a table spoon of melted chocolate mixture. Set aside left over chocolate mixture. Place the chocolate filled cupcake liners in a freezer for 30 minutes, or until solid and hardened. When the chocolate has hardened, remove from the freezer and fill each cupcake liner with a tablespoon of your filling. Make sure the surface of the frozen chocolate is completely covered by the filling. Top with more melted chocolate until the filling is no longer visible. Place in freezer for another 30 minutes. Enjoy!

I'm not sure how well these do if they are stored outside of the freezer. I think they'd soften up quite a bit. I left my in the freezer and they seem to be okay that way!

2 comments: